Draymond Green says his flagrant foul on LeBron James cost Warriors 2016 title, explains why he's doing it again

admin
featured image

Sports are full of assumptions. They make every game, every quarter, every moment so much fun and the championship is getting closer and closer to his trophy. Just the other day, Donavan Mitchell, the newest Cleveland Cavalier, was explaining how he committed his eight-second violation at Woj Pod. first game of first round The 2020 bubble-era playoffs may have sparked the collapse and imminent rebuilding of the entire Utah Jazz franchise.

“I wouldn’t say I went ahead and won the championship, but it was huge for me when I lost,” Mitchell said. “If I take my time and don’t put the ball on the floor and win that game, what will it look like? What will the next season look like? What will the next season look like? There are always those ifs, ands, but you can play.”

Yes, every moment counts, especially in the player’s mind.

A little more attention in NBA circles and a nightmare that’s been playing in the minds of Golden State Warriors fans for years was Draymond Green’s flagrant foul on LeBron James in Game 4 of the 2016 NBA Finals. when you commit a crime. Green and James tangled at half court and James tried to step over Green to get back into play, but Green’s arm flew into James’ groin.

No fouls were called on play, but the league went back in time with a flagrant foul on Green and a technical on James. This offense gave Green his fourth flagrant foul in the postseason to score him a point, and Game 5 was automatically suspended.

Golden State had the best regular season in NBA history and seemed on track for a second consecutive title, but Cleveland was able to win Game 5 without Green. Famously coming back from a 1-3 deficit to win his NBA championship, the franchise’s first.

Green recently revisited the play on the “Chec’n In” podcast (h/t NBC Sports Bay Area) and took full responsibility for his actions. He agreed with many of his basketball fans around the world, saying the Warriors would have won the title that season had they not been suspended. But to some surprise, Green said he wouldn’t change his reaction even if he had to start over.

“I’m putting it on my chin. I’ve sacrificed the championship. I’m fine with it. I can take it by my chin. No problem. I’ll admit my mistake,” Green said. said. “Will I do it again? One thousand percent. If anyone tries to step over me, I’ll hit them.”

Green then explained why his regret stemmed from an incident in a previous game rather than an altercation with James.

“I don’t allow anyone to make that decision and be in a position where they can sacrifice me to do something I never want to do again,” Green said. If gets to that point again and you step over me, I’ll try to hit you again. Put the tech in a place that leaves that decision in someone else’s hands.”

Throughout his career, Green has walked a fine line in his strength, trying to push things as far as he can with opponents, officials and sometimes teammates without losing control.Steve Kerr, Warriors coach is well aware of the importance of that balance and when to back down when Green is in danger of sacrificing valuable points for his team or, worse, being suspended.

Despite six years of self-reflection, Greene clearly feels that James’ attempt to trample him was disrespectful and justified the retaliation he took.

It’s easy to say Green shouldn’t have been in that position in the first place, but the only way to keep him out of that situation is to change the very fabric of his being. It doesn’t happen. In the end, it earned him four championships and a possible Hall of Fame resume. I hope that the positives will continue to outweigh the negatives.

But even if the Warriors win the title, they probably won’t sign Kevin Durant in the summer after the 2016 Finals. So some say Green’s suspension ultimately benefited the Warriors franchise. If we get bogged down in the butterfly effect, we will go insane.

Tags